Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Just had to let everyone know that I now walk around smelling of sweet Kateness. I finally went out and bought a bottle of her perfume.
I smell of perfection. Its lovely...
Also, some info on things to come for the new year and on upcoming blogs in the next few weeks:
- Some style dos and don'ts for the dudes ( I didn't forget!)
- Meghan Fox -my newest and only Idol (all the rest can classify as icons or regular IT girls, which is an awesome title in itself)
- Nylon news! Is there any other?
- And of course, BOP BA DA BAAAAAAH! Outfit posts! I have spent quite a lot of time collecting this year and I think as a one year post spectacular, I will unveil my closet!
So stay tuned...
Thursday, November 26, 2009
- Keep the Menu simple - "If you make 18 different items, you're going to serve a bunch of shit" he says. "Make five really well instead of 20 half-crappy ones.
- Use fresh herbs
- Don't cook the bird all day - "Instead of the typical 275 degrees for eight hours for a 12-16 lb turkey, which makes the bird 'dry as shoe leather,' says Richter, "cook at 500 degrees for 30 minutes to get some nice color, then bring it down to 350 for two and a half hours. You'll have the perfect turkey!"
- Think Cheap! - "Find a wine for $3 a bottle like Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck, I drink it," says Richter, - "its a runoff of a beautiful winery"
Celebrity Hosting Secrets-
- "I have people come over while I'm still preparing, that way it feels more casual." - Zooey Deschanel, actress/singer
- Make it a pilgrim costume party and try not to get too smashed! (lmao) - Betsey Johnson, fashion designer
Holiday Tip: Remodel for the Day - Genevieve Gorder transforms your teeny studio into an entertaining oasis!
- Layering old beautiful bedding, like a worn velvet throw over a cheap linen tablecloth is a great look. Think rustic-chic instead of the matchy-matchiness of your mom's stuff.
- Nice plates? ...scour thift stores...Ebay...Etsy has quirky homemade ceramics. And of course the classic white plate is about a buck at Ikea. But have fun with your table scape! Embrace imperfection. Let it be a little tongue-in-cheek.
- Multitask your furniture in ways your wouldn't normally...For seating, use a couch for one side of the table. Then you can drag in old folding chairs, the hall bench, whatever! Having an eclectic group of seats means that guests can find the style of chair that suits their personality.
- Lighting - its all about dim light. When people come in and there are candles and the lights are down, people immediately start acting more relaxed. And you want this to be an affair where everyone wants to lay around your house till midnight...If its too bright, people get irritated and it doesn't look as good. Period. When you go into a restaurant that is over-lit, you immediately think fast food, and thats not what we're going for after that many hours spent in the kitchen!
Friday, November 20, 2009
I adore these commercials. I tell my boyfriend to SHHHH! everytime they come on. They remind me of this whole urban movement... to dress better, and live better, and love better.
Its America! And the best part is that they made this commercial more than just about fashion. Its very moving and inspiration. I want to GO FORTH and be all I can be. Not in the army of course but as an individual of these great United States.
Poems by Walt Whitman
Monday, November 16, 2009
Sunday, November 15, 2009
THE BEST eyeliner I've used so far. And baby, I've tried it all! It also comes in a rainbow of colors.
I swear I glide this on at least every 5 minutes. And you won't forget to re-apply; Its super addictive and tingles!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Courtesy of Nylon Magazine photo archives... a little sneak peak (well I'm a little late as usual) but nonetheless totally worth taking a look.